Race 1: Wagga – Saturday 4th February 2023
Entries via WebScorer – HERE
See who has already entered HERE
Wagga Bidgee Canoe Club is happy to be hosting the first round of the Paddle NSW, 2023 Marathon Series, which kicks off on Saturday 4th February. The format and course will be the same as 2022, with one-way, down river courses offered for all Divisions.
There are 3 different starting locations for this race. Please note which location your Division will start from.
The start time will be from 11:00am for all divisions with the exceptions of Division 7, starting at 10:30am, Division 6 starting at 10:40am, and Division 5 at 10:50am. All times are in local AEDT
Divisions 1-7 will race from Oura Beach, Oura, to Wagga Beach (26km all downstream)
Divisions 8-12 will race from Braehour Reserve, Braehour Road, Forest Hill, to Wagga Beach (17km all downstream)
Division 13 will race from Eunony Bridge Reserve, Wagga, to Wagga Beach (7.5km all downstream)
The courses above should give times comparable to the standard divisions used at other races for 20, 15 and 5 kilometre distances. Unfortunately, this format does not readily support a 10km equivalent course, so rather than shorten the distance (and reduce the enjoyment of a down river run) we’ve set the 10km divisions to run on the 17km course.
VRA, NSW RMS and Wagga Bidgee Canoe Club members will be on hand to support the event. Paddlers are advised of the following requirements and conditions:
- This is a downriver race. There will be no upriver component.
- Heat management may be a factor and participants are to carry sufficient hydration for the race duration.
- Paddler Check-in and Number Collection will be at each of the three starting locations.
- Paddlers should proceed directly to their respective start location, arriving with sufficient time to prepare for their race.
- There will be a mini bus at Wagga Beach for those paddlers requiring transport back to any of the 3 start locations to collect their vehicles. Competitors using the shuttle bus may need to consider carrying their car keys with them during the race. Kayaks can be left at the beach whilst you collect your car. Participants should try to organise their own car shuffle where possible.
- Paddlers entering for their first race in a PNSW Marathon Series, and any paddler wanting to enter anything other than the Division they last raced in, or were assigned to, should choose one of the “Ranking” race Divisions. (unless entering in Divisions 1, 8, or 9)
- Please don’t attend if you’re experiencing cold or flu like symptoms, or if you’re supposed to be in isolation for any reason.
- Entry is through WebScorer – HERE
Wagga Bidgee Canoe Club will be posting river conditions and other useful event information on their website and Facebook pages. Please visit the Wagga Bidgee Canoe Club website for further information.
SATURDAY NIGHT DINNER AND POST RACE CATCH UP
If you are staying the night in Wagga Wagga after the race, please feel free to join us with your families and friends from 5:30pm at the Palm and Pawn Hotel, 68 Hampden Ave, North Wagga Wagga for drinks and dinner. WBCC has made a booking for 50 people. The pub has a large outdoor area, delicious meals and follows all COVID regulations. They also have accommodation and a courtesy bus that operates from 5:30pm until close. There will be prizes awarded to Division winners at the pub.
SUNDAY MORNING EVENT (Bidgee Dash)
Stay the night in Wagga so you can back up for the new addition in 2023, the Sunday morning Bidgee Dash Criterium Race. Starting at 9am and finishing by 10:15am, you can still be on the road early to head home.
The Bidgee Dash format will be 3 x 2km Criterium races, starting and finishing at the Wagga Beach.
Paddlers will be handicapped for Race 1 based on their Saturday finishing time. Race 2 and 3 will be rehandicapped off Race 1 and Race 2 finishing times.
Points will be allocated on finishing positions in each race, with points weighted for each of the 3 Races.
This ensures that all paddlers are in with a chance to share in the $300 prize money kitty.
Entries will cost $5 and are via the Marathon Entry page.
Those not racing on Saturday, who want to race on Sunday only, can still enter and will be given a handicap by the Race Director for Race 1.
Bacon and Egg rolls will be available from the WBCC canteen.
WAGGA TOURIST INFORMATION AND ACCOMMODATION LINKS
Wagga Visitor Information Wagga Wagga Visitor Information Centre – Visit Wagga Wagga
Wagga Accommodation Stay – Visit Wagga Wagga
CONTACT FOR MORE INFORMATION
Angela Farrell or Jason Redlich via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Wagga Bidgee Canoe Club website Wagga Bidgee Canoe Club (google.com)