Race 2 : The DOLLS POINT CLASSIC hosted by Dolls Point Paddlers : 8 May 2021
Race Day Procedures
This event is conducted at the same location as previous events. Please note
the following and refer to the attached MAPS.
- Competitors are to park in Depena Reserve at the end of McMillan Avenue, Sandringham. As this is a public park, please drive carefully and slowly.
- Parking attendants will provide you with a parking ticket to be displayed on your dashboard. Failure to display the ticket may result in a parking fine.
- DO NOT park in the car park at the Georges River Sailing Club (Sanoni Ave). (MAP 1) This parking area is for use by the general public.
- Please respect local residents and keep noise to a minimum.
- There will be two Check-in queues to separate people at check-in based upon which course you have entered. Stand in the correct queue and maintain social distancing. Follow any instructions from the Covid Marshals. This is a Council requirement in order to minimise gathering sizes.
- Paddlers will use their exiusting race numbers. Those needing new numbers will request these at Race Check-in. These must be affixed on each SIDE of your craft at the front (excluding SUPS) so they are visible to finish line staff. Failure to do so may result in your time not being recorded.
- Ensure you have the minimum safety equipment as per the Harbour Series Race Rules. No exceptions will be granted.
- You must pass between the two maroon Sutherland Shire Canoe Club flags on the beach when you enter the water. This is to check you have the minimum required equipment and to record your race number. (MAP 1)
- Gather for your race start in the area marked in orange on MAP 2 and wait to be called forward by one of the IRBs.
- The start line will be between a Yellow and Black cardinal marker and a pink permanent buoy. Paddlers are required to stay 50m behind the buoys until the race has been called to the start.
- Starts will commence as follows:
Doubles (Long & Short Course): 08.25am.
Long Course Singles: 08.27am
Short Course Singles (inc SLSA & SUPs): 08.30 am
- DO NOT break the Start. You must remain behind the IRB bringing your start to the start line. The IRB will move to the yellow and black buoy at the start line (opposite the start boat). Anyone breaking the start will incur a 2 minute penalty. VIDEO WILL BE TAKEN THIS YEAR.
- The Start procedure will be as follows
- Green flag will be raised 2 minutes prior to each start
- Red flag will be raised 1 minute prior to each start
- An AIR HORN will sound the race start and the red flag will drop.
- You MUST GIVE WAY to all other waterway users.
- Remember, you are required to assist any paddlers in difficulty throughout the race.
- If you see any of the safety boats wave a red flag on course, the race has been stopped and you must proceed as directed by the safety boat.
- Your course will be marked by large yellow and pink buoys which are the new standard for Harbour Racing. Turn RIGHT around YELLOW and LEFT around PINK buoys.
- The Finish Line will be between two black and white chequered buoys.
Short Course Description:
Start as per instructions above
From Start, paddle in a South East direction and turn left around the pink buoy and head north towards Dolls Point. There will be an IRB leading the way
Follow the shoreline along the groynes to the turn left around the pink buoy located near the Novatel.
Head south directly back along the shoreline to Dolls Point, turn Right across the Sailing Club beach and through the finish buoys.
Long Course Description:
Start as per instructions above
From Start, paddle in a south east direction and turn left around the pink buoy and head north towards Dolls Point.
Follow the shoreline along the groynes past the Novatel to the turn right yellow buoy near the entrance to Cooks River.
Head East towards the end of the runway and turn right around the yellow buoy.
Head south west directly back to Dolls Point, turn Right across the Sailing Club beach and through the finish buoys.
- The Finish Line will be between two black and white chequered buoys. DO NOT call your race number as you cross the line UNLESS asked to do so by one of the Finish Line officials/timer.
- When you finish racing, pack up and leave the venue.
- WE HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT RACE! Course MAPS are attached
MAP 1 – ARRIVAL / PARKING / CHECK-IN / WATER ENTRY
MAP 2 – COURSE SHORT AND LONG