SERIES FINAL CANCELLED due to extended Covid19 restrictions.
The HACKING CLASSIC hosted by Cronulla Sutherland Kayak Club : 31 July 2021
Note: All entries from Brisbane Waters Open have been moved to this event. If you wish to change craft or distance, please contact the organiser.
Please retain boat race numbers where possible.
PNSW Harbour Series – Hacking Classic- Sat. 31 July 2021
Thanks for being part of this year’s Hacking Classic. The following guide replaces the traditional on-site briefing.
COVID 19 – Safety
- Please download the Service NSW App prior to avoid time delay at check-in.
- Please scan the QR code or fill in the sign in sheet on entry to the park.
- As a condition of entry you cannot attend if:
- You are unwell and/or display cold or flu-like symptoms, or
- You have been in contact with someone who is unwell or awaiting results of a COVID test, or
- You have been in a recognised COVID hotpot in the last 14 days, or
- You or anyone in your household are awaiting COVID test results, or if you should be in isolation.
In addition – please:
- Respect the health and safety of other competitors and all officials and volunteers.
- Don’t gather in groups, particularly around timekeeping areas.
- Practice social distancing. Keep at least 1.5 m from anyone at all. Practice good hand hygiene, hand sanitizer will be provided.
- The race will start at the northern end of Gunnamatta Park. There is no parking in the park. Parking is available in Nicholson Parade, Taloombi Street, Tonkin Street and the Tonkin Street boat ramp. There is no drop off area, competitors must park their cars and carry their craft. DO NOT STOP AND DROP OFF IN NICHOLSON PARADE.
- Race numbers for those who need them will be issued at race check-in. These must be affixed to the right-hand side of the craft (excluding SUPs) so they are visible to finish line staff. Failure to do so may result in your time not being recorded.
- Buoyancy vests and leg leashes are compulsory. You must pass between two CSKC flags on the beach to check that you have the required equipment.
- Safety craft will be stationed around the course, however it is the responsibility of every paddler to render assistance to other paddlers who have capsized or are in difficulty. Time adjustments will be made for those assisting.
- All oncoming craft must be passed on the RIGHT, and all paddlers must pass behind other powered vessels.
- First Aid will be stationed in Gunnamatta Park.
NOTE the crossover for the long course where it turns left towards Lilli-Pilli. All paddlers must keep to the RIGHT in this channel in both directions
- YOU MUST STAY OUT OF THE MAIN CHANNEL UNTIL THE BUNDEENA FERRY DEPARTS AT 8.30 AM.
- You may warm up outside the channel in the boat mooring area and you will be called to the start line after the ferry has departed.
- The start line is between two yellow cardinal buoys marking the main channel
- Starts will commence as follows:
- Doubles (long and short course) – 8.40 am
- Long course singles – 8.42 am
- Short course singles – (incl. SLSA and SUPs) – 8.44 am
- The start procedure is as follows:
- A green flag will be raised 2 minutes prior to each start
- A red flag will be raised 1 minute prior to each start
- An air horn will sound the race start
DO NOT WASHRIDE THE FERRY AT ANY STAGE OF THE RACE. The ferry captain/ferry company strongly disapprove of wash riding. Keep well clear at all times.
The courses will be marked by large yellow and pink buoys. Turn RIGHT around YELLOW and LEFT around PINK buoys.
From the start paddle directly south down the main channel keeping all green channel markers on your left until you come to the open water. This is marked by a large green channel marker. Turn left around the channel marker (DO NOT CUT THE CORNER) and head directly to the yellow buoy at the eastern end of Jibbon Beach. Turn right around the buoy and head due west to the yellow buoy at Bonnie Vale. Turn right around the buoy and head directly back to the start line then turn right to the finish line at the beach.
From the start paddle directly south down the main channel keeping all green channel markers on your left until you come to the open water. This is marked by a large green channel marker. Turn left around the channel marker (DO NOT CUT THE CORNER) and head directly to the yellow buoy at the eastern end of Jibbon Beach. Turn right around the buoy and head due west to the yellow buoy at Bonnie Vale. Turn right around the buoy, pass the next yellow buoy on the left and follow the Port Hacking channel west as far as Lilli Pilli Point. Turn left around the pink buoy and head back to Gunnamatta Bay.
As you approach the finish turn right around the yellow start buoy and head for the beach. The finish line will be between two black and white chequered buoys.