Build skills to make your stroke more effective on the water. Less energy and more power, greater speed and less wear on the body will come with learning from the best. By joining PaddleNSW and affiliated Clubs, you can often access Instructors and Coaches at no cost. At the very least, you will receive substantial discount to the cost of a Scheduled Course. PaddleNSW conducts yearly professional development workshops for Club Instructors and Coaches to maintain currency.
Why get qualified?
Awards are indicators. When you are deemed competent in an Award, you will be reassured you have the knowledge and skills to paddle at that level, and others can be reassured that you are qualified to deliver training to that level.
Courses delivered by PaddleNSW will follow accredited systems to ensure consistency and safety when learning to paddle. Courses will also include content from PaddleSafe Resources developed by PaddleNSW, NSW Maritime, National Marine Safety Committee and Paddle Australia.
- The Paddle Australia Qualifications Scheme outlines the pathways from basic skills to the skills and knowledge that an Instructor or Guide would need whether in the Recreational paddling Industry or in Clubs when introducing new paddlers to handle flat, white or sea water.
- The Australian Canoeing Coach Scheme is designed to outline the basics for Coaches to enable the paddler to hone their skills in flatwater sprints, marathon, ocean racing, canoe polo or slalom.
A participant is encouraged to attend the training courses that will provide the basic skills & knowledge and then seek opportunities to practice and develop experience at this level before considering assessment for the qualification.
PaddleNSW Qualified Trainers and Coaches can be found in Clubs or by attending standard PaddleNSW advertised courses. The most popular Courses are outlined below, however we will do our best to respond to any other training request related to our sport.
PaddleNSW training Courses are progressive: Each of the following Courses will assume that a participant has reached the competencies as outlined in each of the preceding program goals as the participant needs to hone their technique and gain paddle experience
- PaddleSafe Basic Skills
- Flatwater Skills
- Paddling Supervisor
- Flatwater Guide and/or Instructor Skills Training
- Moving Water skill and safety with Flatwater Guide and/or Instructor Skills Training
- Assessment for Flatwater Guide and/or Instructor
- Whitewater Skills
- Rescue Level 2
- Whitewater Guide and/or Instructor Training for Intermediate Paddlers
- Assessment for Whitewater Guide and/or Instructor Skills
- Rescue level 3
- Assessment for Advanced Whitewater Guide/or Instructor Skills
- Swift Water Rescue Awareness
- Pack Rafter Whitewater Skills and Safety Awareness
Sea water Courses
- Intro to Sea Skills
- Sea Skills
- Enclosed Sea Guide &/ Instructor
- Open Sea Guide &/Instructor
Recognition of Prior Learning;
Assessment for recognition of current competencies without attending a training course requires an evidence based review. The evidence needs to include previous awards, work experience and log books outlining the experience in the water and conditions of the award before a practical review is conducted. The ACAS handbook outlines in detail the standards for assessment.
The process will cost $445 per person with a $45 discount for members. If a gap is identified an applicant will be assisted with a training program to reach competence.
PROMOTE A COURSE on our website
PaddleNSW Clubs (with qualified Instructors) can post a Course for Flatwater, Whitewater and Sea Skills free of charge. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the information or ask the Executive Officer email@example.com for a login to publish the information.
PaddleNSW member Instructors can promote a Course for Flatwater, Whitewater and Sea Skills at no cost on the website. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the information.
A PaddleNSW endorsed School or Business can promote a Course on the website. Please contact the PaddleNSW Executive Officer email@example.com for the standards and conditions for endorsement.
PaddleNSW member Assessors can promote a Course and lodge Award Applications through PaddleNSW . Each Course participant is required to hold a PaddleNSW single event membership if not already a full member of PaddleNSW.
Qualified Instructors (INDEPENDENT of a Club), can when registering as member of PaddleNSW nominate the Education Group as their Club. You are encouraged to attend the PaddleNSW Educators Forum conducted at the PNSWAGM.