Race 1: Wagga Wagga
Race 1 of the 2021 Marathon Series sees a return to Wagga, and a return to a favoured past format of the Murrumbidgee River race, with one-way, down river courses offered for all Divisions.
Divisions 1-7 will race from Oura Beach, Oura, to Wagga Beach (26 Km all downstream)
Divisions 8-12 will race from Braehour Reserve, Braehour Road, Forest Hill, to Wagga Beach (17 Km all downstream)
Division 13 will race from Eunony Bridge Reserve, Wagga, to Wagga Beach (7.5 Km all downstream)
The courses above should give times comparable to the standard divisions used at other races for 20, 15 and 5 kilometre distances. Unfortunately, this format does not readily support a 10 Km equivalent course, so rather than shorten the distance (and reduce the enjoyment of a down river run) we’ve set the 10km Divisions to run on the 17km course.
The start time will be 11:00am for all divisions with the exception of divisions 6 & 7 starting at 10:30 am. All times are in local AEDT.
VRA, NSW RMS and Wagga Bidgee Canoe Club members will be on hand to support the event, though paddlers are advised of the following requirements:
- This is a downriver race. There will be no upriver component.
- Heat management may be a factor and participants are to carry sufficient hydration for the race duration.
- Paddler Check-in and Number Collection will be at each of the three starting locations.
- Paddlers should proceed directly to their respective start location, arriving with sufficient time to prepare for their race.
- PaddleNSW and Wagga Bidgee will provide a mini-bus (11 seat) for a limited post-race shuffle, returning paddlers (not boats) to their respective starting points.
- Participants should try to organise their own car shuffle where possible. Wagga Bidgee may also be able to provide limited assistance in this area.
- The riverside area at Wagga Wagga is currently under development. This will not impact car parking or Wagga Beach access, though entrants are advised that the Wagga Beach Caravan Park does not exist anymore.
Wagga Bidgee Canoe Club will be posting river conditions and other useful event information on their website and Facebook pages. Please visit the Wagga Bidgee Canoe Club website for further information.
All participants and visitors are invited to attend a local pub for a meal, refreshments and presentation on Saturday evening. Details of this will be published on the Wagga Bidgee website and Facebook page.
All the usual Covid conditions apply – please don’t enter or attend if you’re even the slightest bit off colour, if you’ve been in, or you come from a Covid Hotspot, or if you’re supposed to be in isolation for any reason. Social Distancing will continue to be a focus for us in 2021, and having three different starting points for this iconic race will certainly help us get off to a good start.
Paddlers entering for their first race in a PNSW Marathon Series, and any paddler wanting to enter anything other than the Division they last raced in, or were assigned to, should choose one of the “Ranking” race Divisions. (unless entering in Divisions 1, 8, or 9)