Congratulations to our Finalists at the recent Sport NSW Community Volunteer Awards – Bailey Connolly (Young Coach); Brian Cork (Coach) and Bron Powell (Director). Bruce and Joan Clark from CSKC were each honoured with distinguished long service awards. It is tremendous recognition to see paddling and our magnificent volunteers elevated on the sport industry platform.
The NSW Community Sports Awards are focused on community and grass roots sport, recognising the contributions largely carried out by a volunteer workforce.
These awards provide State Sporting Organisations and State Sporting Organisations with a Disability an opportunity to recognise the efforts and achievements their dedicated volunteers deliver across NSW every day.
PaddleNSW is proud that the achievements of three of our members have been recognised by SportNSW and have been named as Finalists.
- Brian Cork: Community Coach of the Year (Slalom)
- Bailey Connolly: Young Coach of the Year (Sprint)
- Bron Powell: Volunteer Director of the Year (PaddleNSW & Environment Committee)
The establishment of the Environment Committee will be an enduring legacy of Bron’s. There’s some great activities planned for SUPtember where in this instance, SUP stands for Single-Use Plastics, and SUPtember (Septemebr) being a month of campaigning by environmental organisations to reduce the amount of plastics being produced and ending up as waste in our environment. This includes increasing the recycling of plastics and ensuring the state government implements the NSW Plastic Plan. Read more about the activities of the Environment Committee and how you can get involved within your own clubs.
The SportNSW Awards will be held on Thursday 17 June, where awards will be presented in 10 categories:
- Community Official of the Year
- Young Official of the Year
- Community Coach of the Year
- Young Coach of the Year
- Community Sport Administrator of the Year
- Volunteer Director of the Year
- Community Team of the Year
- Community Club of the Year
- Community Event of the Year
- Local Council of the Year